|Job description||Highest legal officer of the state of Texas. Term is four years.|
|Duties||• Represents the state in litigation.
• Defends challenges to state laws, suits against state agencies, and suits against individual state employees.
• Serves as legal counsel to all boards and agencies of state government; issues legal opinions when requested by the Governor.
• Prosecutes violations of the law (usually at the request of a local prosecutor).
• Oversees collection of court-ordered child support and administers the Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund.
• Approves all public bond issues.
|Ken Paxton (incumbent)|
|Rochelle Mercedes Garza|
No information - contact Libertarian Party of Texas: https://lptexas.org/about/contact/
- Vote 411 (League of Women Voters Education Fund), Attorney General
- “Meet the candidates for Texas attorney general on Nov. 8 ballot,” Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Oct 23, 2022) (paywall – article limit)
Recent News Articles
- “These Texans were trying to help run elections. Then Ken Paxton’s office launched criminal investigations,” Texas Tribune (Nov 3, 2022) https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/paxton-task-force-to-monitor-harris-county-elections/
- “Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s campaign finance report missing donor names,” Denton Record-Chronicle (Nov 3, 2022) https://dentonrc.com/texas-attorney-general-ken-paxton-s-campaign-finance-report-missing-donor-names/article_507439e8-34f4-50fd-a33c-ec09ed023adc.html
- “Libertarian candidate for attorney general recommends Democrat Rochelle Garza,” Dallas Morning News (Oct 27, 2022) https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/10/27/libertarian-mark-ash-endorses-rochelle-garza-over-ken-paxton-in-texas-ag-race/ (paywall)
- “Texas AG Paxton announces new elections oversight team. Does he have the authority?” KXAN (Oct 24, 2022) https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/texas-ag-paxton-announces-new-elections-oversight-team-does-he-have-the-authority/
- “Rochelle Garza thinks she can flip Texas – largely thanks to Dobbs,” Politico (Oct 24, 2022) https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/10/24/rochelle-garza-texas-attorney-general-race-ken-paxton-00058621
- “Texas needs an attorney general to focus on the basics of the job. Here’s our recommendation [editorial],” Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Oct 21, 2022) https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/editorials/article267642807.html (includes video; paywall – article limit)
- “Can abortion rights help a Latina Democrat make history in a high-stakes Texas race?” NBCnews.com (Oct 12, 2022) https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/can-abortion-issue-help-latina-dem-rochelle-garza-texas-ag-race-rcna51644
- “Texas AG Ken Paxton’s billboard criticizes opponent Rochelle Garza for doing job as lawyer,” Dallas Observer (Oct 11, 2022) https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/texas-ag-ken-paxton-billboard-criticizes-opponent-rochelle-garza-for-doing-job-as-lawyer-15015402
- “Federal judge curtails protections for LGBTQ workers, trans kids in response to Texas lawsuit,” Texas Tribune (Oct 6, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/06/texas-lawsuit-lgbt-workers/
- “Texas AG Paxton ordered to testify in abortion case a week after a process server said he fled home to avoid a subpoena,” NBC News (Oct 4, 2022) https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/texas-ag-paxton-ordered-testify-fleeing-home-avoid-subpoena-abortion-c-rcna49264
- “Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office is ‘unmoored by disarray,’ report finds,” Texas Standard (Oct 4, 2022) https://www.kut.org/texasstandard/2022-10-04/texas-attorney-general-ken-paxton-office-unmoored-by-disarray-report-finds (includes audio)
- “Rochelle Garza is the Democrats’ best chance of winning statewide office in Texas, but she still faces an uphill battle,” Texas Tribune (Oct 3, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/03/rochelle-garza-ken-paxton-texas-attorney-general/
- “Texas court confirms the attorney general can’t unilaterally prosecute election cases,” Texas Tribune (Sep 28, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/28/attorney-general-ken-paxton-voter-fraud/
- “Texas AG’s office sends mixed signals about whether it can fine nonprofits that pay for out-of-state abortions,” Texas Tribune (Sep 27, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/27/texas-abortion-funds-out-of-state-ken-paxton/
- “Texas AG says counties can spend COVID relief funds on extra pay for elected officials without public notice,” Texas Tribune (Sep 22, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/22/texas-counties-covid-hazard-pay-attorney-general/
- Watch: candidates for statewide offices discuss disability issues,” Texas Tribune (Sep 19, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/15/texas-disability-issues-forum-live-2022/ (includes video)
- “Texas AG Ken Paxton could be deposed about securities fraud accusations after election,” Texas Tribune (Sep 15, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/15/ken-paxton-securities-fraud-deposition/
- “Full interview: Democratic candidate for Attorney General Rochelle Garza,” CBS DFW (Sep 8, 2022) https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/video/full-interview-democratic-candidate-for-attorney-general-rochelle-garza/#x (video)
- “Ken Paxton’s legal guidance on public access to ballots contradicts advice his office gave out just five days earlier,” Texas Tribune (Aug 26, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/26/paxton-texas-ballot-security/