|Job description||Oversees the Department of Agriculture, a Texas state agency. Term is four years.|
|Duties||Promotes trade in Texas agricultural products, in the US and abroad.
Provides economic and business development assistance to rural communities; offers financial assistance to farmers and ranchers; grants funds for agricultural research.
Regulates weights and measures statewide, including gasoline pumps and grocery store scales and scanners.
Responsible for registering pesticides for sale, licensing and training pesticide users, protecting workers, and monitoring environmental impact.
Administers nutrition programs, including school meals in Texas public schools; runs statewide anti-obesity campaign; manages Texans Feeding Texans program to assist the hungry.
Certifies organically-produced products.
|Sid Miller (incumbent) |
- Vote 411 (League of Women Voters Education Fund), Commissioner of Agriculture
- “Where candidates for Texas agriculture commissioner stand on marijuana, trade with Mexico,” Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Oct 23, 2022) (paywall – article limit)
Recent News Articles
- “Both have deep Texas roots, but Sid Miller and Susan Hays offer stark contrast in fight for ag commissioner,” Texas Tribune (Oct 20, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/20/sid-miller-susan-hays-texas-agriculture-commissioner-election-2022/
- “Democrat Susan Hays talks rural healthcare advocacy, support for legalizing marijuana in run for Texas Agriculture Commissioner,” KLTV.com (Oct 14, 2022) https://www.kltv.com/2022/10/14/democrat-susan-hays-talks-rural-healthcare-advocacy-support-legalizing-marijuana-run-texas-agriculture-commissioner/ (includes video)
- “The process of giving $2.2 billion to farmers who faced discrimination begins soon,” NPR (Oct 13, 2022) https://www.npr.org/2022/10/13/1128542615/farmers-usda-discrimination-pay
- “Former GOP Texas Supreme Court justices endorse Democrat Hays for agriculture commissioner,” San Antonio Express-News (Oct 5, 2022) https://www.expressnews.com/politics/article/3-GOP-former-state-Supreme-Court-justices-endorse-17487166.php
- “Agriculture commissioner Sid Miller faces legal and ethical questions in reelection bid,” Texas Public Radio (Oct 3, 2022) https://www.tpr.org/news/2022-10-03/agriculture-commissioner-sid-miller-faces-legal-and-ethical-questions-in-reelection-bid (includes link to audio)
- “Black Texas farmers were finally on track to get federal aid. The state’s agriculture commissioner wants to stop that.” Texas Tribune (Jan 24, 2022), https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/24/texas-black-farmers-sid-miller-lawsuit/
- “Ag commissioner cuts ties with aide charged in hemp scheme,” Texas Tribune (Jan 19, 2022) https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/19/texas-ag-commissioner-sid-miller-todd-smith-indictment/